Sunday, April 9, 2017

Sticklebacks, Feedback, and Circulation; Oh My!: Weekly Reflection for the Week of April 3rd to April 7th

Weekly Standards: 5.1, 5.2

How did you do on the work?
I feel like I did alright on some of the work this week.  I feel pretty good on our in class work, especially the information sheet on circulation that we worked on on Wednesday and Thursday.  We also did some work on stickleback fish earlier in the week to compliment our Vodcast on genomics, and I feel like these packets have been going well.  The work outside of class hasn't been going as hot, simply because my schedule has turned up about 55 notches and I am struggling to adjust.  Because of this, my vodcasts haven't been going as well, as I often have to rush through them.  At the beginning of this week I was behind a few, but luckily I was able to catch up on Monday afternoon.

What do you think you understand well?
I feel really good about the information we researched on circulation.  I spearheaded the section on plants, and not only fount it to be super cool (like that's where rings come from, who knew?), but then when I was doing the vodcast this weekend, I came upon mentions of xylem and phloem and felt super smart and ahead of the game!!

Where do you think you could improve?
Right now my biggest obstacle is time management.  Any sketchiness I feel regarding the material we have covered is due to rushing through work to get it done.  I need to work on not just getting to my work and getting it done in a good amount of time, but taking enough time on it that I am not rushing and missing important material.  This balance is something that I am working to find, especially with the more time consuming assignments, like vodcasts.

What strategies will you use to improve?
In order to more effectively manage my time I need to prioritize my work, and take any and all opportunities to get it done.  I should start utilizing times like my lunch break, or off periods during my rehearsals to get work done, so I will have enough time to sit down and soak in the material, instead of simply flipping through it.

How does the work we are doing fit into the context/narrative of this class?
One thing that I am really enjoying about this unit so far is that it is connecting two distinct worlds of biology that I have been familiar with.  You always hear about bio as the study of life, with work on animals and how things grow, yet I feel like in high school biology the time constraint of one year limits class to mostly just cell biology, and looking at the basic processes of life, like photosynthesis or cell respiration.  Looking at how these things come together to form an organism is a super interesting connection between all of the microscopic things we have been studying for a year and a half, to the real life things we know from living in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment